Friday, June 26, 2009

I Remember


Goa, Camarines Sur. Manoy Emong just passed the board exams for civil enginnering. He became one of the first professionals in the clan. My father was actually the first. He became a Certified Public Acountant (CPA) in the 50's, before I was born.

In this photo (taken in the 60's), Manoy Emong with Papa, Embet (my only brother) and ako. I think this was taken by Kikoy Paronda, one of ONLY two professional photographers in Goa at that time.

There were hardly any consumer-grade cameras then. If you wanted pictures taken, you hired a pro.

Life, then, was that simple.

1 comment:

Jake said...

We also have this kind of printed picture in my hometown. I can recognize the the texture of the paper used :). I remember my great grandmother saying once that she wanted all her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to be professionals. My father said that back then, it was a measure of success. Then I figured why all houses posted names of their family members who are professionals. Those posted names really caught my eye because I found them to be creepy. I thought those were to commemorate dead people!